Saturday, July 13, 2013

Up next...Fairbanks to Anchorage - 367 miles and counting

Day 1: Making my way 367 miles from Fairbanks to Anchorage.  I'm riding the Parks Highway; it has a good shoulder; the same route takes about six hours by car.


Today was the "hilly" day according to the locals, and they were right - it was a chain stretcher.  I covered 59 miles starting at 11 a.m. and pulled into Nenana just after 5 p.m.


The most interesting place en route was Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn - a local tavern located midway between Fairbanks and Nenana - a pretty racy atmosphere.  I refilled my water bottles, bought some postcards for 25 cents apiece, and pushed along....



I also met another bike tourist, Jan.  Jan was from the Netherlands, and had been on the road for more than a year.  He was fully loaded with gear and supplies.

No comments: