Monday, June 18, 2012

Kindness of strangers..from Florida to Alabama



There are so many unexpected good things that happen on tour. Quite a few people stop and ask questions like 'where are you headed' and 'how far do you travel in a day?'

But others offer more. I'm surprised on this tour how many people have offered me money.

I'm never asking for money. I don't know if it's the current economic state of the country, if they just want to get involved, or they don't know how to handle a situation other than to throw money at it.

I normally decline financial assistance unless it's unexpected and over before I know it.

Case in point:

  • In Marianna, Florida a man standing in front of me at the grocery paid for my grapes and strawberries before I even got to the checkout.
  • In Haleyville, Alabama a woman at the meat counter agreed to split a whole chicken when I told the deli clerk it was too much for me and could I just get half, then...
  • ....same woman then reached in her purse, shoved $7 in my hand and said, "this is all I have" and she walked away.
  • At a small gas station on Highway 82 outside Maplesville I stopped to chat and get directions. Lisa was the perky clerk behind the counter. Dressed in pink with a pixie haircut and sparkly shirt she turned over a gift card for a one-night stay at the Best Western.
  • In De Funiak Springs, Florida I was standing outside the old Walton County Courthouse when a man yelled across the street asking what I was doing. I hollered back, but he ambled over. Charles Davis was an older southern black man with a silver front tooth and a slow bow-legged walk. It was about 6:30 p.m. and after a quick review of my tour he said, "Would you do me the pleasure of accompanying me for a Coca Cola?" And with that we walked to the neighborhood grocery and he bought me a cold drink.


These quick encounters really make the tours a memorable experience. 

No comments: